The Benefits of Using Video on Landing Pages
Video should be used on your landing pages whenever possible. It provides a passive engagement medium where visitors can experience your message with very little effort.
People have been glued to TV screens since the middle of the 20th century. Video on the web has had a similarly dramatic impact on the way content is consumed, resulting in YouTube becoming the web’s “second search engine”.
Some reasons why video can lift your landing page conversion rates
- Videos increase the length of time people stay on your page, giving your brand message longer to sink in.
- If you feature yourself or company employees in the video, the trust factor is raised significantly.
- People are lazy and prefer to watch vs. read.
7 Ways to make your videos more effective
- Test autoplay vs. press play. Usability guidelines advise against autoplay as it is an interruption technique that annoys people and makes them click the back button. But it can also increase conversions. You have to decide on and measure the impact it has on conversion and the impression of your brand.
- Add a call to action (CTA) to your video. This can be permanently visible, or be shown at strategic times throughout the video, or be presented at the end.
- Try short and long versions to see what your customers need. Some products may need a detailed study, while others might be better suited to a 30 second “commercial” style.
- Use directional cues within the video to point your visitors at your landing page’s conversion goal. This can be a physical action (a person pointing) or a verbal instruction.
- Write a script before recording your video. This will help it flow more smoothly.
- If you are demoing an online product, record the screencast first, then overlay audio later. This gives you more opportunities to make it sound professional. Using an external mic is a good idea too.
- Content re-use. Add your video to YouTube and optimize it for SEO. It’s been suggested that video is 52 times more likely to show up on page one of Google than a text article (most likely due to the lack of established competition).
Video Tip: Creating screencasts quickly and cheaply with Jing
If you have an online product or service, you can put together promotional, educational or instructional videos and have them embedded in your landing page in minutes by using a service like Jing.
Here’s an example we put together really quickly. It shows how to integrate Unbounce with Mailchimp.